I have been feeling really frugal lately and have been loving it! Not to mention Matt is loving the fact that I now make a ton of stuff that used to run our family up in grocery bills. My newest project is homemade Dishwasher detergent! You all know we spend WAY to much money on that stuff (along with Laundry soap, but I also have been making that and saving our family a ton) and its actually relatively easy to make! Here are the ingredients:
- 2 c borax
- 2 c Arm & Hammer washing soda
- 2 c lemi shine*
- 1 c kosher salt
Easy right?! So easy! Tonight I will be making it! Yippee! Something else to add to my homemade collection. Oh and FYI: I now LOVE to do laundry because I get a real sense of accomplishment using my homemade laundry detergent. hahaha No, I still hate to fold and put away, but the actual cleaning part is very fun for me (Especially with my new front loaders! YIPPEE)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until mixed.
- The citric acid in the lemi shine will make everything get a bit hard. The first time I made this I put it directly into my container and it all got really really hard. So I suggest letting this mixture sit out in a bowl for a couple of days, stirring often. You will still get a few little “balls” of detergent, but that is just fine! You just don’t want it all in one big piece! Believe me, this is the best way to go!!
- The lemi shine suggests running an empty dishwasher cycle with just that in order to clean your dishwasher. I followed their directions for good measure!
- *Fill your rinse aid spot with white vinegar. Add a small container with white vinegar in it to the top rack of your dishwasher before running. Don’t put it in your rinse aid compartment! (will make a big difference!)
- Use 1 tbs of detergent per load of dishes.